Tuesday, June 12, 2007

King's Chapel in Boston


The King’s Chapel is my favorite site on the Freedom Trail in Boston for several reasons. First of all, understanding the conflict surrounding the origins of the church helps one to understand that the American Revolution did not happen as a result of the Boston Tea Party. The divisions within American colonial society were more than a hundred years old before the tea was poured into Boston Harbor. Secondly, I like the King’s Chapel because it was able to rebound after the Revolutionary War and reinvent itself as America’s very first Unitarian Church. Third, I like the church because it was never finished. There’s no steeple on the tower. It’s a perpetual work in progress, much like America. Fourth, I firmly hold that its interior is the most elegant extant colonial era interior in New England. Fifth, the lunch time concert series that the church hosts is wonderful. And sixth, I like the fact that they’ve maintained their Anglican liturgy while pursuing a Christian Unitarian theology.

I’ve written a detailed article about the interior of the King's Chapel here

No comments: