Friday, September 7, 2007

Top 10 Fav Cars


When selecting the top ten cars that I like the most, I must admit that I cannot judge them from behind the wheel experience. I've only owned a few cars in my life, and while I've driven dozens of different models, I really can't find ten amongst those worthy of any special mention. So, instead, I've relied mostly on passive observation to create my list of the top ten cars that I like.

1968 FORD MUSTANG Not to be confused with that cute little 1966 version of the Mustang, I'm talking about the Ford Mustang GT 390 Fastback driven by Steve McQueen in the movie, "Bullitt." If you have any interest in cars, and you have not seen Bullitt, make sure you put it at the top of your "to do" list. A very good overall movie, it is probably most famous for its seminal car chase scene in which McQueen, driving his Mustang Fastback, is after the bad guys in a Dodge Charger. The chase scene was filmed entirely on the streets of San Francisco and reached speeds of up to 110mph. Make no mistake, Steve McQueen put the muscle into the Muscle Car.

CADILLAC ELDORADO What can you say about the fins on those second generation late 1950s Eldorados? The most original, most beautiful ornamentation ever put on a car.

THAT BLACK TRANS AM I'm talking about the 1977 Pontiac Trans Am driven by Burt Reynolds in the movie "Smokey and the Bandit." That t-top, that ridiculously large engine, and Sally Fields; it was the car parents feared their kids would want and the car that every teenage boy dreamed of driving.

FORD GRANADA A rather obscure blast from the past, the Granada was actually a pretty nice car that never really took off in America. I remember it fondly because I once drove one when I was a teenager. It also has special memories because just after visiting Graceland and standing at the gravesite of Elvis Presley, driving down Elvis Presley Blvd, some local Memphis yokel, ran a red light, and crashed into my Granada, totaling it. Nobody was hurt, but because we had chocolate shakes from McDonald's in the car, there was chocolate shake all over the interior of the car, which from the outside was easily mistaken for blood. It was a pretty gruesome looking scene.

SKODA 100 The Skoda Auto company in the Czech Republic is a client of mine, so I have to mention them. And of all their models, I'm going to single out the 100, which was produced 1969-77. It's not the sexiest car ever produced, and despite all of its engineering shortcomings, the car has an irresistible appeal. Today, young gear heads in the Czech Republic are snapping them up and fixing what needs to fixed and updating what needs updating. These young people are doing some very fine work, and the Skoda 100 is beginning to turn some heads.

To read the rest of my list at Helium, please click HERE>>>

No comments: